Tax implication of a short sale of an invertment property

Asked over 5 years ago - Venice, FL

I purchased an investment house 3 years ago for $375K. I have rented it at a loss each year. It is now worth about $50K less than I owe the bank. If I sell it as a short sale I will get a 1099 next year for about $50K from the bank. When I do my taxes will the my $75K loss off set the 1099?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Steven W. Ledbetter


    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . I would advise you to take this matter to a CPA. It really has less to do with the real estate law than tax advice.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,603 answers this week

2,959 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,603 answers this week

2,959 attorneys answering