TAX ID (EIN number) : Is it possible that change of address is done automatically by IRS, based on tax filing service ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Plainview, NY

TAX ID (EIN number) : We registered our corporation 13 years back. As we lost EIN Document, I called IRS and requested to faxed me IRS document. But address mentioned on documents is different than what we registers. That address seems to be the person whom we used for last two years for tax filing service. Is it possible that EIN number can be changed automatically based on who is preparing your tax document ? Because I asked the person. But he said never requested to change the EIN address. And proposed that it might have changed based on correspondence done .

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Bradley Scott MacPherson

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I'm a little confused by your question, but I think you're asking whether the IRS updates your mailing address, in its own databases, based upon the address you used on your last tax return. That answer is yes. By law the IRS is required to mail notices to your "last known address." The address that you used on your last tax return is the most common way of setting the "last known address."

  2. Jerry Anthony Merola

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . go to request the address change form and file it yourself by certified mail. Always best to have the IRS have the most current address.

    Jerry Merola
    Greenberg & Merola, LLP, Attorneys at Law
    91 N. Franklin Street, Suite 211, Hempstead, NY 11550, (516) 887-1975
    521 5th Ave. Ste. 1700, New York, NY 10175, (212) 593-6111
    Additional Offices: Queens & Brooklyn

  3. Stuart Warren Moskowitz

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You incorporated with the Department of State with an address to have service of process on the corporation (assuming NY corp.). When you requested an EIN you had to insert an address on the form SS-4. If your tax return you filed recently has a different address then those address' then you should file with the IRS a change of address form.

Related Topics

Small business taxes

Small business taxes include state and federal income taxes and employment taxes, self-employment taxes, and excise taxes.


Business law covers topics such as business structures, common documents, business taxes and finances, insurance, real estate, and government regulations.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,623 answers this week

2,347 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,623 answers this week

2,347 attorneys answering