Tax filing with my spouse

Asked 8 months ago - Silver Spring, MD

I and my wife just got married last dec and now i wanna file my taxes ,is it a must i should file with her like wife and husband to avoid a lot of questioning with the immigration when filing her papers?or everybody can file of her own till when we ready to file together?she files taxes only because she wants to get back her tax return on her school fees because she is an international student.

1. Robb Adam Longman

Pro

2

Answered . Your question is a little confusing and some of this will depend upon her immigration status. You should meet with a CPA to determine the best filing status.

2. Steven Anderson Leahy

Pro

1

Answered . A husband and wife can file their tax returns separately. I think that answers your question.

I hope this helps!
    Respectfully,
    Steven A. Leahy

3. Tara Sturhahn Rosenblum

1

Answered . You can file separately, but it is not always financially advantageous to do so. Figure it out both ways and see which gets you the larger return.