Skip to main content

Tax filing with my spouse

Silver Spring, MD |

I and my wife just got married last dec and now i wanna file my taxes ,is it a must i should file with her like wife and husband to avoid a lot of questioning with the immigration when filing her papers?or everybody can file of her own till when we ready to file together?she files taxes only because she wants to get back her tax return on her school fees because she is an international student.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Your question is a little confusing and some of this will depend upon her immigration status. You should meet with a CPA to determine the best filing status.

This answer is based on general legal principles only and is not intended to provide specific legal advice. This answer is for informational purposes only and does not constitute the formation of a lawyer-client relationship. Any reader of this answer should not make decisions based upon in without first directly consulting with an attorney


A husband and wife can file their tax returns separately. I think that answers your question.

I hope this helps!
Steven A. Leahy

Please note that the above is not intended as legal advice, it is for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is created or is intended to be created hereby. You should contact a local attorney to discuss and to obtain legal advice.


You can file separately, but it is not always financially advantageous to do so. Figure it out both ways and see which gets you the larger return.

The above is meant to be instructional and does not create an attorney client relationship. Please call for a free consultation if you would like to discuss the matter.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer