Tax exemptions for children in divorce

Asked about 3 years ago - Seattle, WA

If there is some sort of stimulus package(or whatever it is to be called) who will get it if me and my wife were married up until feb.and we filed joint. I am the primary provider (husband). she gets to claim the children for 2011/i get 2012 the years rotate back and forth as per divorce papers. . but the papers say that under designation of custodian for federal and state statutes i am the primary. so who would get the money and are stimulus or whatever they call it this time, tax exemptions or something else? thanks

1. Gratia P. Schoemakers

1

1

Answered . You can find a general explanation at http://family-law.lawyers.com/child-custody/Chi... - If this does not help you - you should hire an attorney to go over your paperwork (divorce papers, etc.) to see how the particulars in your situation should be resolved.

2. Joan M Bundy

Pro

1

Answered . In the eyes of the IRS, which is what matters, the custodial parent gets the dependency exemption. It doesn’t matter what the divorce decree says. For more information, please click the link below to see my legal guide.

This post should not be construed as formal legal advice or the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.