Tax, Immigrant

Asked over 2 years ago - San Francisco, CA

Me and my family are immigrants. We bought a house & have some money in our bank accounts. All the money that we have in US are from foreign money transfer from my father's work in my country. But no one in my family works in US. So we don't pay tax. Is it legal that we don't pay tax until now? We don't file any tax return too.

Another question is, what if we rent out some rooms in our house for some small income, do we have to pay tax for that?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Henry Daniel Lively

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If you have United States source income you will be required to file income tax returns and pay taxes on the income. Money that was transferred from your father would not be income. If you rent out rooms the income you derive from this activity is taxable and would require you to file income tax returns in the United States. it your be a good idea for you to hire a tax professional to prepare these return for you since you are not familiar with our system of taxation.

    Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response... more
  2. Jennifer Doerrie

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hello,

    Although it looks as if you properly labeled this question to post to the tax law section of Avvo, it ended up in the immigration section. You may wish to repost it and take the word "immigrant" out of the subject line. (Maybe use just "tax questions" or something like that.)

    Good luck,

    Ms. Doerrie's answer to your question is general in nature, as not all facts and circumstances relating to the... more
  3. Steven Anderson Leahy


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Lively. The income you receive from rent, is taxable income and must be reported to federal, state and perhaps municipal agencies. The tax laws are complex and must be adhered to. You should seek help preparing these documents.

    I hope this helps.
    Steven A. Leahy

    Please note that the above is not intended as legal advice, it is for educational purposes only. No attorney-... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,048 answers this week

3,082 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,048 answers this week

3,082 attorneys answering