Tampering with a witness & Battery.

Pinellas Park, FL |

My boyfriend got arrested earlier for battery and tampering with a witness when I was trying to place a call with 911 when snatched the phone from me and wouldn't give it back. He did push me when I was trying to get the phone and I did tell the cops what has happpened. I was wondering what is most likely that's gonna happen to him? I never really intended for this to happen when I was calling for a whole different reason. Also my child was present when that happened and I am afraid that they would take him away.

Also I don't really want to press any charges. Will that atleast help him in any kind of way?

He will be charged with multiple felonies. It is up to the State Attorney to charge him, not you

You should let the State attorney know that you do not wish to press charges. Furthermore, if your boyfriend doesn't have a lawyer, you can help him find one and they can present an affidavit that you don't want to press charges. Find an attorney in your area to help. Good luck.

It is time for him to get a good criminal defense attorney in your area.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239

The state decides what happens with the charges.

Talk to someone! National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233) /

The Cycle of Domestic Violence

In 1979, psychologist Lenore Walker found that many violent relationships follow a common pattern or cycle. The entire cycle may happen in one day or it may take weeks or months. It is different for every relationship and not all relationships follow the cycle—many report a constant stage of siege with little relief.

This cycle has three parts:

Tension building phase—Tension builds over common domestic issues like money, children or jobs. Verbal abuse begins. The victim tries to control the situation by pleasing the abuser, giving in or avoiding the abuse. None of these will stop the violence. Eventually, the tension reaches a boiling point and physical abuse begins.

Acute battering episode—When the tension peaks, the physical violence begins. It is usually triggered by the presence of an external event or by the abuser’s emotional state—but not by the victim’s behavior. This means the start of the battering episode is unpredictable and beyond the victim’s control. However, some experts believe that in some cases victims may unconsciously provoke the abuse so they can release the tension, and move on to the honeymoon phase.

The honeymoon phase—First, the abuser is ashamed of his behavior. He expresses remorse, tries to minimize the abuse and might even blame it on the partner. He may then exhibit loving, kind behavior followed by apologies, generosity and helpfulness. He will genuinely attempt to convince the partner that the abuse will not happen again. This loving and contrite behavior strengthens the bond between the partners and will probably convince the victim, once again, that leaving the relationship is not necessary.

This cycle continues over and over, and may help explain why victims stay in abusive relationships. The abuse may be terrible, but the promises and generosity of the honeymoon phase give the victim the false belief that everything will be all right.

Good Luck,

James Regan, LL.M*, Esq. (Master of Intercultural Human Rights Law) (Visit us on Facebook)

Educational purposes answer. | | | | | Non-privileged answer.