Skip to main content

Talked to a lawyer about wrongful death suit on wives death 4 months ago. Now he wont return my calls or see me. What can i do?

West Monroe, LA |

Wife told me before she died to see lawyer about wrongful death suit(hospitals not catchin cancer). Was told from bad papsmere cancerous but banine come back in 6months. She made it 4months. Went talked to lawyer. Lawyer knew family lawyer. I told him no one else involved in suit but me an now wont talk or return calls

Attorney Answers 5

  1. I am not sure if you signed up the case with this lawyer, but if he won't return your calls, you can send him a letter terminating representation. You can then search Avvo for a medical malpractice lawyer in your city for a new lawyer.

    Lassen Law Firm Personal Injury Lawyers Philadelphia. Phone 215-510-6755.

  2. The very simple answer is to find a new lawyer. Assuming you have not actually hired this lawyer or paid him any money, he was only considering your case. If he is not calling you back now then he has let you know in a less than professional manner that he doesn't want your case. If you did hire him and he is not returning your calls already, then this is a red flag that you may have a lawyer which should be changed anyway. You should consult with other cousnel promptly as each state has different statues of limitation for taking action on different types of causes of action.

  3. The question is whether you actually retained the lawyer (signed a retainer agreement) or simply "spoke" with one about the case. If you are not satisfied with the level of response from the 1st attorney, speak to another one. But you should do so quickly, because you may have to address issues of timeliness of the claim if you delay too long.

    Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

  4. You should contact a new lawyer immediately. Wrongful death cases often have tighter deadlines than other negligence cases. Accordingly, delay can be far more harmful for wrongful death cases. In addition, these cases are more complex than other personal injury cases, so you do not want to attempt to handle it by yourself. A new attorney will be able to get the file from your current attorney and make sure they recieve little, if any, compensation for what they did.

  5. Contact a different lawyer.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics