Taking time off from work to attend child's school function

California state law allows up to 40 hours a year to attend school functions with your child. At my job we are on a point system where we are given a point for time missed from work other than vacation, loa, or FMLA. I asked my employer about taking a day off without pay to attend a school function with my son, and was told I would have to use vacation as overtime would have to be paid. I again said I wanted a day off without pay. I was told that if I took a day off without pay then it would go down as an unavailable and I would get a point. Is this allowed? I feel this would penalize any employee wanting to use this time off that is allowed by law.

Hanford, CA -

Justin Dain Hein

Justin Dain Hein

Employment / Labor Attorney - Sacramento, CA

Under California Labor Code Section 230.8, employees who are parents, guardians or grandparents with custody of children in kindergarten or grades 1-12, or attending a licensed day-care facility, may take off up to 40 hours each year (not to exceed eight hours in any one month) to participate in their children’s school activities.

Employees must provide their employers with reasonable notice of a planned absence. In addition, they must use existing vacation, personal leave or compensatory time off for any school-related absences. In the alternative, an employee may use time off without pay. If the employer asks, an employee who takes time off for school purposes must provide proof of participation from the school or day-care facility.

Employers with at least 25 workers at the same location cannot take adverse action against an employee who takes time off for school activities.

Sponsored Listing
Michael Robert Kirschbaum

Michael Robert Kirschbaum

Employment / Labor Attorney - Irvine, CA

As you appear to know, Cal. Labor Code, section 230.8, says that employers of 25 or more employees in the same location, shall not discharge or in any way discriminate against an employee, who is a parent...of one or more children in kindergarten or grades 1 through 12, for taking a day off up to 40 hours each year and not exceeding 8 hours in any calendar month, to participate in activities of the school of the child, as long as reasonable notice of the planned absence is given to the employer.

While this law does authorize the use of vacation time, it also permits an employee to use time off without pay, "to the extent made available by the employer."

While it is not clear what your employer's policy is in this regard, if the application of the policy is to, in effect, discriminate against an eligible employee for taking time off to attend a school function, in my opinion, it violates the intent of Section 230.8.

Neil Pedersen

Neil Pedersen

Based on your facts, if you work for an employer of more than 25 employees at your location, assigning you a point appears to be an inappropriate employer action under the Code. Your challenge is to now figure out what you are going to do with that knowledge. Be sure to keep the big picture in mind. While it is unlawful for an employee to stand up for their rights in many circumstances, employers have an insidious way of retaliating without it looking as such.

Good luck to you.