Skip to main content

Taken for $7000.00

Parker, CO |

I was dating this guy online for what I thought was 2 yrs. He started asking me for money for helping his mother. I gave him over $7000.00 over a span of 6 mths
This past Friday I found out everything was a lie and he wasn't helping his mother but actually was helping himself get an apt and he also has a live in gf.
I was wondering if there is anything I can do to get my money back...I have asked over numerous times if he can just return my money and he said you gave it to me. Yes I did give it to him cause I thought he was helping his mother , he had full access to my bank act and I have tried cancelling some transaction but others time it still went thru.
I have all my texts documented stating if he has found someone please let me know so I can leave but he wouldn't tell me anything.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. The problem that you have is that they were ear-marked as gifts and he lied about their use. As such, it will be hard for law enforcement and the DA to show that it was a theft, that he procured the money from you by threat or deception with the intent of permanently depriving you of it. It is "possible." However, as a former economic crime district attorney, these cases are extremely hard to prove. You can hire an attorney and sue him for the reimbursement based on theft and coercion and there is a lower standard of proof in criminal cases.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

  2. I think that what you have described could be considered theft by deception and you should file a police report. However, as Mr. Leroi notes, these types of cases are not easy to prosecute and not very high priority for prosecutors.

    You can also file a civil complaint. Your beau is guilty of making false statements on which you relied to your detriment - this constitutes fraud. You can sue and get a civil judgment. Once you have a judgment, you will have to figure out how to collect. If he has significant assets or a stable job then you may be able to get your money back. If he simply gets by swindling women on the internet, it may be more difficult to get your money back.

    You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics