Take off between jobs on H1B

Asked about 2 years ago - Bloomington, IL

I'm on H1B status and I'm working for Company A. I got an offer letter from Company B. I'm expecting the receipt number from USCIS next week and my joining date is two weeks after that. I heard that I can start working for Company B after I receive the receipt number. Can I take off (say for a week or 10 days) after I get the receipt number from USCIS and before joining Company B. I'm not planning to go anywhere outside the country though. Is it legal to stay in states on H1B without getting paid?

1. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

2

Answered . Clarify the above scenario with the attorney of record who prepared your H1B filings to advise your accurately on your prospective plans after that counsel review the relevant documents in person.

2. Dhenu Mitesh Savla

Pro

1

Answered . Possibly yes, but it would have to be carefully structured so the start date on the h1b leaves no gap but allows you to take time off. The only way you can be "between jobs" is if your i94 remains valid. However, any answers you get here are speculation and you should definitely contact Company B's attorney for more specific advice.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC
    www.swagatusa.com/attorney

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.
  3. F. J. Capriotti III

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague ... talk to the company lawyer.

4. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . I, too, agree.