Tacoma, WA - Can an employer hold a final paycheck until you sign an agreement saying you will not pursue anymore money?

Asked over 1 year ago - Tacoma, WA

I have a friend who is owed money by his now ex-employer. His supervisor had scheduled him so many hours a week to work and once he worked them, the company did not pay him for what he worked. Their reasoning was that the supervisor was not authorized to give him so many hours. They then only paid him for the amount of hours that were allotted for his position. Since then he has been trying to get paid what he is owed. The other day he was told that if he were to sign a waiver stating that he would not try to pursue any further collection of money, they then would issue him a final check. When he saw that the amount of the check was for half of what they owed him, he did not sign. Therefore, he did not get a check. Is this legal? (An L&I claim has been filed; No response yet)

1. Richard H. Wooster

5

1

Best Answer

Answered . No, this is not legal. My office is in Tacoma and I would be available next week. The failure to pay your friend's pay check by the next regularly scheduled pay day entitles your friend to double damages and attorneys fees. If your friend is smart, they will ask the employee to give him a copy of the waiver "so they can consider it." That will provide some proof of his claim they were holding his check hostage.

2. Saphronia R Young

7

1

Answered . No, this isn't legal.

3. Julie Anne Oberbillig

Pro

7

1

Answered . No, it is not legal to hold his paycheck hostage for an agreement not to pursue legal action to vindicate his rights (I suspect the agreement would never be upheld, anyway, as it has an illegal purpose and is one-sided). Contact an employment lawyer.

4. John P Corrigan

5

1

Answered . Consult a labor/employment lawyer in your area as there are numerous federal and state laws that apply to the wrongful withholding of wages, especially if they are trying to obtain a release from you as it relates to the compensation in dispute. The state department of labor can also be contacted to understand your rights and remedies in pursuing what you believe you are owed.

5. Samuel Michael Meyler

3

Answered . No, they can't withhold your friend's if paycheck. Your friend should seek the advice of an attorney.

6. George O. Tamblyn

Pro

1

Answered . Contact L&I. They should pursue it at no cost to you. If they do not, contact a lawyer soon.