Switching to an F1 while on an F1(OPT), with a pending H1B visa petition

Asked almost 2 years ago - Mountain View, CA

Hi all,
I'm in a rather complicated situation. I am currently on an F-1 visa with OPT, and I am working at a company. My company recently filed a petition sponsoring my H1-B visa. I wish to join school for a doctoral program this fall (Sep 2013) and I have admits already. However, I would need to switch to an F1 visa before beginning school. I don't want to quit my job before August. I'm confused of how I should proceed if I want to join school this September. My current F1 expires in June '13, and OPT expires in July '13. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Mr. Sharma, Yes, the company has applied for my change of status.

1. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

2

Answered . Did the company apply for change of status?

2. F. J. Capriotti III

3

Answered . You are correct ... it appears to be too complicated for resolving on an internet blog like this.

Most likely you won't be able to work in July.

Meet in private with an immigration lawyer for clarification of what options, if any, you have.

Sorry.

3. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with my colleague.