Switched jobs for employment offer with health insurance promise; unfulfilled until over a year later and after auto accident...

Boston, MA |

Took a job with the promise of better pay and matching or better health insurance benefits paid for by employer. I left a position with high job security to take this job.

Over a year later, after multiple conversations asking about my health insurance and being told "we're working on it" I had an auto accident which totalled my car and left me injured. With no health insurance, my auto policy was exhausted leaving with me with $20K in medical bills.

Only after this serious accident was I given promised coverage by employer. Although far from "matching" as my deductibles and co-pay over tripled.

I quit because of their shady practices. My question is, do I have any options to pursue damages from employer for failure to provide the coverage I was promised when I took the job?

Yes, but this is a contract not a personal injury claim

Maybe -- for breach of contract. Sit down with an attorney that pursues such claims to learn of your possibilities.

Good luck!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

Have a local employment lawyer investigate

I think that you do have a possible breach of employment contract claim. You should consult with an expert Boston employment law lawyer. Request a free consultation, get 2-3 opinions from different lawyers, and then attempt to hire someone who has impressed you on a contingent fee basis.