Surrounded by second hand smoke/marijuana smoke near my apartment unit Can I abandon the unit under constructive eviction?

Asked about 2 years ago - Hawthorne, CA

I am long time resident of my apartment unit-over 10 years
I have the unfortunate situation now I am surrounded by smokers
I have a small child with me on weekends
I have to close my windows to avoid the smoke/marijuana smoke
I have faxed a letter to onsite manager about the problem-no results
I feel that I no longer have a healthy environment for me and my child to live

Can I abandon the unit with proper notice and not pay rent under constructive eviction?
I am not being dishonest but are there any steps can i take to get the rental agreement terminated without paying thus i can use my rent for another location- i feel that i have done everything i could to have the right to enjoy my unit under the rental agreement

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Michael Raymond Daymude

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you have been there 10 years you probably can move out any time you want simply by giving 30-days written notice to your landlord. You do not need an excuse.

    Constructive eviction allows you to break a lease. Do you have a lease? It does not allow you to live in a unit rent free. If you do not pay your rent your landlord will serve you with a 3-day notice to pay or quit and follow it up with a UD.

    A UD will make it difficult in the future to obtain adequate housing. If you want to move, start saving money now or obtain a loan to allow you to make the move. That is a far better choice than not paying rent and having a UD on your record.

    I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for... more
  2. Michael Charles Doland

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Mr. Daymude gives correct pragmatic advice. A 30 days notice is better than abandonning your lease without payment.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may... more
  3. James Michael Slominski

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . In addition to what has been stated, take a look at this link:

  4. Robert Pecco Baker

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . 1. First determine whether you are month to month or have a balance of months remaining on your written lease.

    2. If the former, give notice and move

    3. If the latter, determine whether you can stick out the remaining months- it is going to take awhile to find a suitable apartment.

    4. In order to terminate a lease for constructive eviction, the unit has to be uninhabitable and the legal standard for that is verey high and set by statute. You can easily research this on line and compare your situation to the standard.

    5. One problem is that the issue is not something the owner is doing or not doing, but something other tenants are doing inside their own apartments and that is very difficult for the owner to control, and may not be grounds for constructive eviction.

    6. Can you even tell exactly who is responsible?

    7. You should keep a journal of when there is a smell, what you have done to counter it; health issues; MD visits, etc

    8. This may be a dicey constructive eviction case.

  5. Harry N. Konst

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Write the landlord and demand that he resolve the smoking problem under his warranty of habitability.

    I am not your attorney. Contact an attorney for advice immediately.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,287 answers this week

2,815 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,287 answers this week

2,815 attorneys answering