Skip to main content

Supporting documents for I-485

Albemarle, NC |

I am filling for the form I-485 and they need my foreign birth certificate. How recent does the copy of the birth certificate need to be? Can I use one that I have from 2013? What other documents can i use instead of the birth certificate? Also it needs to be translated. Does it need the apostille too? Can it be the apostille from your Embassy? Or does it need to be from the State you are in? Please let me know.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. You need to submit a copy of your birth certificate with a certified translation if the document is not in English. It does not need to have an apostille. You will need to bring the original or a certified copy with the original certificate of translation to your interview.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.

  2. You need to submit the original birth certiificate in the foreign language and and English translation. An apostille is not required.

    Alexus P. Sham-The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. The Form I-485 has instructions. Follow them. It requires a copy of birth certificate with certified English translation. You will be instructed to bring the original birth certificate to your interview in person. Good luck!

  4. You need to submit a copy of your birth certificate. When you attend the interview. You need to bring an original or a certified copy. English translations are required with the submission. The apostille is not required

    Attorney Robert Brown's (former INS Director, 1972-99) reply to your question is general in nature, and does not constitute legal advice as all facts are known to him. For specific advice or representation you should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law. Mr. Brown's reply on AVVO does not create an attorney/client relationship not constitute legal advice.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics