Skip to main content

Support after they turn 18

Bend, OR |

He may take classes after his senior year because he has been screwing around with school lately. Trying to get him to take it serious. We need to know if he can keep getting support as a super senior in highschool.

Attorney Answers 3


Child support in Oregon continues for a "child attending school" until age 21. Mr. Traylor is correct regarding what is considered "attending school." In practice it is extremely difficult to stop child support going to such a "child" because he/she does not have to be working toward a degree or diploma, only has to be enrolled part-time (based on the school's definition), which can be as low as 8 hours per week, and only needs to maintain a C average. Very lenient in favor of adult child.

Please be aware that each answer is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.

Mark as helpful


You haven't asked a question here, so it's hard to give an answer. (Please see this Guide: )

However, this issue was also recently addressed in this thread:

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Posted controls this issue. The answer to your question depends on a few factors. If a current child support order exists, he is in school half time or more, and he is making "satisfactory academic progress" then yes, he probably can continue to get support. If he is looking at a second senior year however, he may not be making "satisfactory academic progress". That is a factor set by the school, so you may want to inquire to see if he meets that requirement. Good luck.

Jeffrey K. Traylor
Your Family's Lawyer
1500 SW 1st Ave., Ste. 920
Portland, OR 97201

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree