Skip to main content

Supervised release

Saugus, MA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

Is there a way to get off of supervised release early ?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. I'm not licensed in your Commonwealth, but I would expect the answer you will receive from the lawyers here who are so licensed is that it's possible, but you are going to need the assistance of a good attorney to advance your request in the most effective manner. You should shortly receive responses from some of the fine attorneys in your area who participate here. Most of us offer free, if limited, consultations. Take advantage of that opportunity to speak privately with them about the matter. You will have both a chance to educate yourself on the possibilities and hopefully find an experienced attorney in whom you can put your trust. Start with the attorneys who answer your question here. good luck.

  2. Federal? Yes. State, I'm going to defer to local counsel. I have found it easier to get of federal release than state (TN, MS, AK).

    Claiborne H. Ferguson, Esq. is * Certified as a Specialist in Criminal Trial Advocacy by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. * Certified as a Specialist in Criminal Trial Advocacy by the Tennessee Commission on Continuing Legal Education and Specialization.

  3. There are methods of getting off of federal supervised release early. Unfortunately, much of the analysis depends on the crime you committed, the length of supervised release and how much more time is remaining and your conduct while on supervised release.

    The first place to start is to speak with your case worker. If he or she does not agree you should be released early, it will be virtually impossible.

    I wish you the best.

    No attorney-client relationship is created by responding to any question on Avvo. Further, nothing contained in any response may be relied upon as legal advice.

  4. The federal and state systems have different procedures. The answer is yes, supervised release can be terminated early.

    The more interesting question is what factors are present that will justify a judge in granting the request.

    Only an experienced criminal defense attorney who is familiar with your jurisdiction is qualified to advise you and to prepare the necessary documents after obtaining all pertinent supporting information.

    Of course every answer is based on the question asked and requires a more complete context. This answer should not be relied upon to make a legal decision. Seek the advice of an experienced attorney before acting.

  5. Pursuant to 18 USC Section 3583(e)(1), a district court may terminate a defendant's term of supervised release after the defendant's serving of one year of the same. The court will consider all of the all of the relevant factors in 18 USC 3553(a) as they relate to the defendant and the specific facts of the case in it determination.

    Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics