Summons for trespassing

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

My boyfriend and I were in a car in the parking lot of a shopping center near my home at night when a police car approached us and told us we are trespassing. Note: The sign on the entrance to the lot said no overnight parking. But we weren't parked overnight + we were IN the car. They could have just told us to move! Instead after a long wait in the car worrying of what they could do to us, we got summons and now have to appear in court tomorrow morning. What should we do/say?

The summons is pink and says in violation of section 140.05

Could I plead not guilty? Is in necessary to hire a lawyer? (fin. sit is difficult) Are pictures of the sign at the entrance going to help? Is it going to go on my record?

1. Michael Lewis Marley

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . If you are in dire financial straits, the court will provide with you a lawyer. Obviously, this is not such a big deal and policeman could've just told you to take off. This is not an offense which merits jail time or even a criminal record absent any other negative factors.

Law Office Of Michael Marley
    Phone 917 853 4484

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

1

Answered . Bring a photo of the sign. A criminal defense lawyer is a good idea too.

3. Joseph Paul Petito

Pro

Answered . You don't need to say anything. Show up, and ask for an attorney. If you have no criminal history you should simply be arraigned and the matter should be adjourned for you to get an Attorney.

4. Edwin Drantivy

Pro

Answered . Retain a criminal defense attorney as this should not be a serious charge to overcome, though no charges should ever be taken lightly.