Skip to main content

Summoned to court for default HELOC

Cortland, IL |
Filed under: Summons and complaint

Do we need a lawyer? I'm not sure what info I should be taking to the proceeding. What can I expect them to tell me? Thank you!

Attorney Answers 2


As for court, the answer is that nobody will "tell you what to do." Judges and opposing counsel may not offer you any advice. You need to find your own attorney to advise you as to your options.

I'd talk to an attorney immediately. You may be in risk of losing your home if this default results in foreclosure.
(773) 853-3062

This answer is intended as informational only, and does not constitute legal advice or form an attorney-client relationship between us.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


You should use the Find a Lawyer tab at the top of the page to locate a foreclosure defense attorney in your area. You may have defenses available to you that will be lost without asserting them properly.

By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics