Skip to main content

Summoned to court a credit card dept 1680.00

Melrose Park, IL |

they gave the paper to my wife court was on that Friday i got the papers the Sunday after is their still something i could do

Attorney Answers 3


You need to look at your local court rules to see if you can file a motion for reconsideration.

Mark as helpful


You need to find out what stage the case is in. Your first action would be to file an appearance. You have to pay a fee. You would also have to answer the complaint. You likely still have time to file the appearance and the answer. The bigger question is what do you plan to do about the debt and the lawsuit. If you owe the money and have no defense, you can contact the creditors lawyer to work out a payment plan.

Mark as helpful

1 comment

Robert Thomas Kuehl

Robert Thomas Kuehl


It's a small claim, so if he appears, he would not need to file an answer (unless the court ordered him to do so).


You might want to consult a consumer law attorney. You can file a motion to vacate the judgment, if one was entered against you on Friday. If you do not hire an attorney, there is an advice desk at the Daley Center that will assist you in preparing such a motion. Depending on who is suing you, they may not have the evidence they need to prove you owe the debt. Debt buyers, for example, will often just dismiss the case when an attorney appears for the defendant. In addition, they sometimes sue past the statute of limitations.

The above response is not intended to create, nor does it create either an attorney-client relationship or an ongoing duty to respond to questions. It is intended to be solely the educated opinion of the author and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Some responses may be advertising material. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the inquiring person and additional or differing facts might change the response. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the state of Illinois. Responses are answers to general legal questions and the inquiring party should consult a local attorney for specific answers and advice. Answering this question does not create a duty to keep information confidential, nor does it prevent me from representing an adverse party. Advertising Materials.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics