Summoned in court for an ex apartment and ex roommate?

Asked about 1 year ago - Downingtown, PA

I am being summoned to court because my ex roommate neglected rent for two months. I no longer live in the apartment and she neglected to pay rent AFTER I moved out and subleased to another woman who now lives there. Why am I being summoned if legally, my landlord was supposed to hold the new girl responsible and not me? I also live in Pennsylvania and this happened in Massachusetts. I moved out three months ago if this makes any difference.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Stewart C Crawford Jr.


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The answer to this question will be controlled entirely by the lease and sub lease as well the laws of the Commonwealth of as Massachusetts (not Pennsylvania). You should re-post it there to get a more accurate answer.

    Stew Crawford, Jr., Esq.

    Crawford Law Firm
    A Full Service Law Firm Serving Pennsylvania & New Jersey

    Philadelphia Area Office
    223 North Monroe Street
    Media, Pennsylvania 19063


    All information provided in this comment is intended for informational purposes only and does not, by itself,... more
  2. Edward Clement Sweeney


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . I suspect its because your name was never taken off the lease. However, as Atty. Crawford indicated, this matter is controlled by your lease and the laws of Massachusetts. You need to take it up with an Atty. in Massachusetts. This situation happens sometimes where someone is on the lease and moves out early and is replaced, but the replacement never gets their name put on the lease.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,856 answers this week

2,724 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,856 answers this week

2,724 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary