Summoned in court for an ex apartment and ex roommate?

Asked about 1 year ago - Downingtown, PA

I am being summoned to court because my ex roommate neglected rent for two months. I no longer live in the apartment and she neglected to pay rent AFTER I moved out and subleased to another woman who now lives there. Why am I being summoned if legally, my landlord was supposed to hold the new girl responsible and not me? I also live in Pennsylvania and this happened in Massachusetts. I moved out three months ago if this makes any difference.

1. Stewart C Crawford Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . The answer to this question will be controlled entirely by the lease and sub lease as well the laws of the Commonwealth of as Massachusetts (not Pennsylvania). You should re-post it there to get a more accurate answer.

Stew Crawford, Jr., Esq.

Crawford Law Firm
    A Full Service Law Firm Serving Pennsylvania & New Jersey

Philadelphia Area Office
    223 North Monroe Street
    Media, Pennsylvania 19063
    877-992-6311
    www.crawfordlaw.org

E-mail: landlord@subrolaw.us

2. Edward Clement Sweeney

Pro

Answered . I suspect its because your name was never taken off the lease. However, as Atty. Crawford indicated, this matter is controlled by your lease and the laws of Massachusetts. You need to take it up with an Atty. in Massachusetts. This situation happens sometimes where someone is on the lease and moves out early and is replaced, but the replacement never gets their name put on the lease.