Skip to main content

Suing two parties with HQ over 100 miles apart (District Court 100 mile rule?)

Concord, NH |

I'm taking a company to court in Concord , NH . There is a second party to the suit that I have called " a material aspect " of the civil action . While researching local court rules and the law , I came across something called the 100 mile rule . The second party resides in a location that is at least 100 miles from where the court is located . I have two choices then ? File in a district court that is closer to the second party , or file a separate lawsuit against the second party while citing the information from the first lawsuit ? This is a lawsuit involving employment , civil rights on the job ( race ) , and harassment / stalking / threats after being fired for taking the complaints to HR and VP of company .

Attorney Answers 4


You need to consult a local attorney to investigate and advise you as you really should have an attorney handle tis action.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree

1 comment



Local attys cannot help, as I don't have the tens of thousands of dollars they are asking for. Visited a few and brought my papers and evidence along; this is a time-limited action. Need to start this very, very soon.


If you have an employment discrimination lawsuit, you would first need to file a complaint with the EEOC and wait for a right to sue letter which takes 6 months, otherwise, the suit will be thrown out.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


Must file with EEOC. You need to check with attorney handling discrimination claims.

Sagi Shaked is a Florida Bar Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney. To schedule a free consultation, call (877) 529-0080 or (305) 937-0191. I am licensed in Florida, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or Florida law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only and do not create an attorney client relationship. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is different and fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


First, you should talk to an employment rights atty before filing anything in court or with the EEOC. If suit is brought, I think you would likely want to have all defts in the same case so they can point at each other, so that you dont have to be deposed separately in 2 different cases, etc.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics