Suing the New York City Police Dept.

Asked about 2 years ago - New York, NY

Hello,
I am thinking about suing the New York City Police Dept. Are there any special requirements I should be aware of? I have been to court before so I know the basics.

1. 4

1

Answered . You need to serve a Notice of Claim on the City of NY within 90 days of accrual to preserve your state law claims.

2. 4

1

Answered . You must file a Notice of Claim within 90 days of the incident. If this involved an arrest, the claim must be filed within 90 days of your release from custody to preserve the false arrest charge. The NYC Comptroller has a form and instructions on its web site.

3. 2

1

Answered . In addition to the prior responses, you should be ready for a 50 H hearing and then file the summons and complaint within a year and ninety days of the time the action accrued.

4. 1

1

Answered . besides the Notice of Claim requirement that others mentioned, you should be aware that state law claims have statute of limitations shorter than federal law claims. For intentional torts, for instance, one generally needs to sue within 1 year of the date of the incident. I thus, encourage you to schedule a consultation with a NYC Civil Rights lawyer.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.