Suing my sibling to partition Mom's house. Have good offer to buy. Can the judge order we skip the auction and sell to my buyer?

Asked over 1 year ago - Tampa, FL

The buyer is paying fair value and all other heirs want to sell at this price. But there is one sibling who won't communicate at all and won't sign anything helpful under any circumstances. The sibling contested the will and failed to show up. She hasn't answered certified mail for a year or more. The same has held us up for months on end, even with an offer and sales contract in hand, she won't budge, even when it hurts her. So must sell somehow. Does that automatically mean auction? Can't the judge rule that the house be sold by a realtor?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Marshall C Deason Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can ask the court for a private sale rather than a public sale. This is common because courthouse auctions generally produce smaller prices than listing the property with a broker. You should consult the lawyer representing you in the partition action about how to accomplish this.

    Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,111 answers this week

3,177 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,111 answers this week

3,177 attorneys answering