Suing for libel on behalf of someone dead?

Asked over 1 year ago - Beverly Hills, CA

Is it possible for the estate to sue for libel if a dead person was defamed after her death? I was told it was not possible because the dead are not legally considered to have a reputation. However, someone told me that a person CAN still be sued for libel. Now I'm not sure which to believe.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 8

    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . No, the estate of a deceased individual cannot sue on behalf of the deceased if the defamation occurred after the death of the individual.

    Ms. Berjis is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and... more
  2. 6

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . As you have already been advised, there is no cause of action for defamation of a deceased person that can be pursued.

  3. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Asked and answered previously

  4. 2

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Ms. Berjis is correct in that you have no cause of action.

    Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at

Related Topics

Personal injury and defamation

Defamation is any type of emotional or psychological personal injury that occurs when someone intentionally harms another’s character or reputation.

Personal injury and libel

Libel is the written or visual defamation of another person’s character. False statements can damage someone’s reputation, so it is a type of personal injury.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now