Suing for libel on behalf of someone dead?

Asked over 1 year ago - Beverly Hills, CA

Is it possible for the estate to sue for libel if a dead person was defamed after her death? I was told it was not possible because the dead are not legally considered to have a reputation. However, someone told me that a person CAN still be sued for libel. Now I'm not sure which to believe.

1. 8

1

Best Answer

Answered . No, the estate of a deceased individual cannot sue on behalf of the deceased if the defamation occurred after the death of the individual.

2. 6

1

Answered . As you have already been advised, there is no cause of action for defamation of a deceased person that can be pursued.

3. 3

Answered . Asked and answered previously

4. 2

1

Answered . Ms. Berjis is correct in that you have no cause of action.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.