Suing for false advertisement.

Asked over 3 years ago - Bakersfield, CA

Can I sue a company I used to work for (as opposed to being a customer), for advertising a product and selling something else?

Additional information

How would I go about contacting the California Attorney General's Office? Can I write a letter? Can you provide contact information, please?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . No. Your question is really whether an individual has "standing" to bring a lawsuit under California Business and Professions Code section 17500, part of California's Unfair Competition Law (UCL) which prohibits false advertising. Until 2004, individuals or groups that never suffered any loss or harm could sue on behalf of the general public without satisfying traditional class action requirements. However, after the passage of Proposition 64 in November 2004, California implemented important procedural changes to Business and Professions Code Section 17200 and Section 17500, requiring a plaintiff to show that he or she suffered an actual injury and lost money or property as a result of such unfair competition.

    In summary, you can report the false advertising to the California Attorney General's Office to prosecute a civil action for the false advertising under California's UCL. But you yourself cannot be the plaintiff or a class representative in a class action against your former employer.

  2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Go online at and take it from there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,773 answers this week

2,761 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,773 answers this week

2,761 attorneys answering