Suing a lawyer for malpractice.

Asked over 4 years ago - Staten Island, NY

I was told by a lawyer that I should sue the lawyer that represented me 6 years ago. Is there anything I can do at this late date?

1. Bentzion S. Turin

Answered . There are certain situations where the statute of limitations is tolled, which means that the clock stops running on the three years. These potentially include situations where the attorney concealed the malpractice or where the attorney continued to represent you relating to the underlying matter that is the subject of your claim. Before giving up I would recommend that you discuss it with an attorney who specializes in legal malpractice. Good Luck!

2. Ronald Anthony Sarno

Answered . NYS has a three year statute of limitations on legal malpractice. You cannot file a suit for legal malpractice at this time.
    On my profile there are several legal guides. I recommend reviewing the following which may be helpful to you:

Hiring a lawyer; Is it Legal? Is it Illegal?...Understanding the different court systems;
    Introduction to Legal terms used in litigation; Limitations on a Lawyer’s License: What a Lawyer Can and Cannot Do……………………………..…………………………..

LEGAL DISCLAIMER…………………………………………………………………..
    Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.