Sued for credit cards debt but only have social security, am I exempt?

Asked about 3 years ago - Watseka, IL

I'm 65 and only income is S.S.,Just minium amout a month. I live with Husband but my name is the only one on cards. He has nothing to do with this debt and hates credit ccards. Can they come after him and what about it when I die?

1. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

Answered . If you have assets, such as a bank account, home, savings, car, etc., the credit card companies could attach any of these items once they obtain a court judgment unless they happen to be protected under the laws of your state.

So what assets are protected under the laws of your state?

I have posted a link to this information for you to review. If an asset isn't on the list, it probably isn't protected.

Hope this perspective helps!

2. Joshua P Friedman

Answered . They can and will come after both of you if you reside in a community property state. Sounds like most, if not all, of your assets are exempt from enforcement activities - it does not mean it will not be a pain and require some court filings, though, to prevail and keep everything away from judgment creditors (no one can seize any assets until a judgment is entered against you).

Disclaimer of California Attorney
    Although the above response is believed to be accurate, it should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice because the information provided is incomplete. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. No attorney client relation is formed with me without a written contract.

Joshua P. Friedman
    jfriedman@jpfassociates.com
    www.losangelescollector.com