Suddenly fired after 25 years????

Asked almost 5 years ago - Palatine, IL

My sister was fired without warning after 25 years of being a loyal employee. She came in to work her shift and found simply that she had been removed from the schedule. No one had mentioned that this may happen, though apparently, everyone in the office knew, except her. She contacted the person in charge of scheduling (this person is NOT a boss/manager/ or the owner of this clinic) though she was a "friend" of my sister's for the past 17 years. She told her that due to scheduling conflicts, she had to be let go.(My sister has 2 children and has had to work part-time since their birth which she has done for 6 years)My sister then called the OWNER of this clinic and he reiterated this statment. I'm heartbroken for her because this job is all she has known since she was 16 years old.

I'm not certain what my question is. I would just like to know if it is legal to fire someone for the reason indicated, without discussion /giving the employee a chance to change the situation? I truly appreciate your time and knowledge on this subject.

1. Michael J. Helfand

1

Answered . In Illinois, most employees are "at-will," meaning that they can be fired at any time, even without a good reason. From the facts you described, it does not sound like your sister's termination was illegal. Illegal termination is when someone is fired because of race, religion, sex, age, disability, etc. If there are facts supporting illegal termination (more information on this in the link below), she should contact an attorney.

2. Peter LaSorsa

Pro

1

Answered . You should discuss the case with an employment attorney to see if you have a case for discrimination.