Subpoena -- What’s the difference? What’s my recourse?

Boston, MA |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

Opposing attorney has served either a subpoena for taking a deposition duce tecum or a subpoena to Keeper of the Records. I’m not sure which because I haven’t been notified. I believe that under rule 30 I am supposed to receive notice. Am I correct? If he failed to notify me – what is my recourse?

the first one requires the target to appear with records;

the second one, the target can merely tender the records, and is usually excused for showing up.

In either case, the opposing attorney MUST serve you with a copy of the complete subpoena - on the second one, OA must provide you with copies of the documents obtained.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

Henry Lebensbaum

Henry Lebensbaum

if he failed to provide timely notice, you can move to quash