Submitting false information on a residential rental application in New York City

New York, NY |

Other than eviction if the application does get accepted, are there any other immediate consequences if a landlord finds out that you ATTEMPTED to submit false information on a rental application? For example, a fake letter of employment, etc. They will obviously reject the application but what are the legal ramifications involved?

1. Dear hopeful tenant:

If you submitted false information you went beyond an attempt. If the landlord does due diligence this may be discovered. A likely result is that your name will be sent into a list of tenants dangerous to accept as a tenant or some other tenant blacklist.

If the tenancy is accepted in spite of the false information but something occurs during the tenancy and an investigation reveals the false application depending on the lease you signed that may or may not be held against you.

If you worry whether you committed a crime consult with a criminal defense attorney.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

2. If these are rent controlled or rent stabilized properties, false information provided can be a misdemeanor or a felony.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.