Student Loan vs Tuition Debt

Asked about 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

Hi, I just recently noticed an entry on my credit report 3 months ago for a student loan by the department of education. It says that the "loan" is from the 90s. I never took out a loan with the department of education, I enrolled into a state college in 1990s but I did not take out a loan with the department of ed to go. I am almost 98% sure of this.

Today I get a call from a debt collector saying that I owe the debt. I told them that I did not recognize the debt. I went to check my credit report and an entry from the department of ed is there, the entry was added last month it was never on my credit report before last month.

What are my options? can I simply dispute this debt? Do I need an attorney to help? if so leave your contact info so I can contact you for a cost to solve this.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Dorothy G Bunce


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You can always dispute an entry on your credit report by going to each of the three credit bureaus and requesting an investigation of the debt.

    I would suggest going to to order your free credit reports from each credit bureau. Each of the three credit bureaus will let you make a dispute request online & you should hear back within 2 months. I know when I did this, I heard back within 10 days that the issue had been resolved.

    Hope this perspective helps!

  2. Malik W. Ahmad

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Other than what attorney Dorothy's valuable advice, I suggest find a contradictory record of your preoccupation during this time period. For instance, if you are going to another school, or had a job in a different part of the world, that can establish that you could not have gone and attended this school. Of course there were no online school in those days.

    Only see a licensed attorney before you make any decision. This answer may not be perfect in any given situation.... more

Related Topics

Nondischargeable debt and student loans

Student loans cannot normally be discharged in bankruptcy. Unlike most other types of debt, student loans are nondischargeable--except in cases of hardship.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,179 answers this week

2,691 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,179 answers this week

2,691 attorneys answering