Student loan mismanagement and FTCA

Asked about 2 years ago - San Francisco, CA

I have a question that maybe someone can answer I have a problem with the U.S. ED direct loan services center. It seem they failed to notify me by mail or by phone that my account was to be transferred from one autopay system in collections back to the U.S. ED as it was at that point rehabilitated. We were never notified the account had been rehabilitated. After their supposed attempts to notify us they sent my account back into collections. I have heard of a mandamus action to compel the agency to act on your claim or sue for damages under the FTCA. What kind of lawyer would I need or could a lawyer even represent me under the FTCA.

I want to make the U.S. ED accountable for how they not only sent me back into default but now collections have tack on 15-24,000 more.

1. Ronald Joseph Kim

Answered . You probably don't need to actually take legal action to get his back on track---it is likely that a quick telephone call to the right bureaucrat will right this ship---and if it doesn't than you can take more severe action. The best attorney to contact on these types of issues is Josh Cohen--go to this website to find him: www.thestudentloanlawyer.com

He is one of three or four attorneys in the country in private practice who has a detailed understanding of student loans and the DOE bureaucracy.

Good luck,