Student financial aid loans i can't afford to pay due to long unemployment..

Asked about 2 years ago - Buford, GA

hello i have a problem with student financial loans total about $55000 i have applied for economic hardship or unemployment hardship many times but about $3000 interests be added to that account at sallie mae every 6 months. i'm still unemployed but can't afford to pay $382 a month at the beginning of next month but i don't want to get an increase of interests if i will apply for it again i just wonder if a lawyer can help me delete all or some interests or suggest me any idea? i never been in bankrupticy before.. i have no experience with debit issue i don't even know how to handle debit issue.. i need a lawyer help if you leave your phone number for me so i can cantact you?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As you live in Buford, Georgia and probably low-income, I would suggest that contact Gwinnett Legal Aid in Lawrenceville, Georgia for assistance. They may suggest other options for you after reviewing your case.

  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Bankruptcy generally does not absolve you from student loan responsibility. Unfortunately, you signed the contract, and that interest is not going to go anywhere. I would recommend looking into income based repayment. That program probably makes the most sense for you.

    This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship

Related Topics

Debt collection and debt settlement

If you face debt collection you may choose to fight it and defend against garnishment. You may also seek debt settlement as a way to negotiate with creditors.

Ryan Hardy

Accord and Satisfaction in Arizona

In Arizona, two parties can agree to a lesser amount than what is actually owed. In order for this to occur, there needs to be a clear indicator that a full satisfaction of the debt is... more

Nondischargeable debt and student loans

Student loans cannot normally be discharged in bankruptcy. Unlike most other types of debt, student loans are nondischargeable--except in cases of hardship.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

38,507 answers this week

3,962 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

38,507 answers this week

3,962 attorneys answering