Structure of Discovery & Pitfalls?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Berkeley, CA

First 2 weeks for disclosure (?) - copies of all documents upon which they rely in support of their claims or defenses

Remaining 6 weeks to complete the Discovery.

Can the other party bring upon surprising documents to be used in support of their claims or defenses during the last minute (or during the tail end of the last 6 weeks) of the Discovery process? It might be falsified documents.

Are there any pitfalls? Any tips or cautions?

Should I also be asking them for "to admit that certain documents are genuine" as they fulfill my Discovery requests?

1. Pamela Koslyn

3

Answered . It's pretty much impossible to tell someone how to litigate, even if we did know something about your lawsuit, which we don't.

Generally parties can't offer evidence at trial that they haven't produced in discovery, but there are many exceptions to this rule, such as for use to impeach a witness.

You do seem suspicious of the other parties' tendency to falsify documents, which might make appropriate propounding Requests for Admission as to genuineness of documents and facts.

You're of course best off consulting with a lawyer to help you.

2. Andrew Kevin Jacobson

Pro

2

Answered . Discovery is a vital part of litigation, and has to be harnessed to the overall goal of the case. You want to try to get everything you can that will help you, and find out anything that might hurt your case. The entire process is set up to achieve substantive justice for the parties and for society. There are many pitfalls and challenges. These are all questions that you need to ask your lawyer. If you are doing it yourself, you need to think whether that is wise. I don't feel qualified to take on Kobe Bryant in a basketball game, especially if my money is one the line.

3. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

1

Answered . First of all, it sounds like you are in federal court, not state court.

Keep in mind that most litigators practice in state court, and would not be sufficiently familiar with the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure to help you. With that in mind, it is even more important for you to consult with a litigation attorney who knows federal court practice and procedure.

No one on Avvo can really teach you how to propound effective discovery, nor can anyone predict what the other side might do to defeat you at trial. Please consult with an attorney. You do not have much time left.