Stopping storage unit from selling my personal belongings

Asked about 2 years ago - Sacramento, CA

Legal Advice on I'm Going Through A Divorce, My Soon To Be Ex Sent My Belongings In A Pod Without Telling Me, And When It Got Here, I Was Told I Need To Pay For It, Turns Out My Ex Packed And Sent, But Didn't Pay For It, He Knew I Had No Monies. I'm Requesting In Court Paperwork That He Pays For It, And Told The Storage Company, As Well As Given Them Copies, They Sent Me An Email Today Saying Their Selling It On The 19th,I Thought If It's In The Courts To Have Him Pay For It, That They Couldn't Sell It, What Can I Do?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Daniel Seth Williams


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to give him Ex-Parte notice before 10AM tomorrow that you will be appearing Ex-Parte on Friday and requesting immediate payment from him or removal by him to a safe place. As for the Ex-Parte application, that is a different process and you will need to get it done immediately.

    Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California and may be reached at (831) 233-3558 and... more
  2. Donald Frederick Conviser

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Accord with Mr. Williams' response. The court does not have jurisdiction over the storage company, so its rulings are not binding on the storage company. The fact that you filed "paperwork" with the Court asking that your husband pay for the storage does not prevent the storage company from selling your items, and doesn't require your husband to pay the storage company. Do not delay preparing and filing your Ex Parte Application, giving timely notice of the hearing to your husband, and appearing at the Ex Parte hearing. Hopefully, the Court will order him to pay for the storage and provide your items to you in time to save your items. If not, you can file an RFO asking the Court to order your husband to pay you the reasonable (or replacement) value of your items.

    Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is... more
  3. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . borrow money or charge it to a credit card and pay for your bill. Move your assets and then follow Mr. Willimas advice. Best of luck.

    This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., aka El Abogado de Divocios de California: 510-206-4492. It... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,438 answers this week

2,271 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,438 answers this week

2,271 attorneys answering