Skip to main content

Stopping garnishment using Head of Household exemption?

Pompano Beach, FL |
Filed under: Wage garnishment

I was told by an attorney and wanted to get confirmation that if after losing a judgement and the garnishment process begins, you can't claim to be the Head of the Household unless there is a minor (child)involved. The fact that you provide more than half the support for a spouse would not count. Is this correct as it pertains to Florida law?

Attorney Answers 3


The correct term is actually "head of family." Head of household is the IRS term.

Here is the statutory definition, it answers your question:
(c) “Head of family” includes any natural person who is providing more than one-half of the support for a child or other dependent.
FL Statute 222.11(1)(c).

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Attorney Berkus is correct. Without a minor child you will not qualify for the head of household exemption.

If you cannot afford to pay the judgment you may want to consider a bankruptcy case. Filing a bankruptcy would immediately stop the garnishment process and would discharge the debt. You should consult with a bankruptcy attorney to see if you qualify for a Chapter 7 case and if it is a good option for you.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

1 comment



The Statute states “Head of family” includes any natural person who is providing more than one-half of the support for a child or other dependent." Is a spouse not considered to be a dependant?


A child or other dependant would include a spouse.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida.

Mark as helpful

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics