Stopped for going 84 in a 70 the officer said it was a warning but I have to go to court, what happens next

Raleigh, NC |

wiil I loose my liscense, have to pay a fine and court costs. Can I ask for a prayer for judgment and do I need a lawyer

Whether or not you will lose your license depends upon your driving record. If you have no other tickets, you will not lose your license. If you plead guilty, you will absolutely have to pay a fine and court costs. If you ask for a PJC, you usually just have to pay court costs. I encourage you to contact an attorney to find out what is at stake here for you. Good luck.

This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to form a client/lawyer relationship. You can contact me for a limited telephone consultation or an email consultation at my website, www.sjfarberlaw.com, which is listed below. In addition to operating my own firm, I also work for North Carolina Prisoner Legal Services, Inc., a non-profit law firm which exists to protect the rights of prisoners in the custody of the state of North Carolina. If a loved one is in prison in North Carolina, advise the inmate that they may write to North Carolina Prisoner Legal Services, Inc. NCPLS will review their case at no cost and will litigate at no cost to the inmate if the case meets NCPLS' standards. NCPLS can also provide some assistance to inmates seeking to represent themselves. I am also available for cases that do not deal with inmates incarcerated in North Carolina's jails and prisons.

If you have to go to court on the ticket, then it wasn't just a warning - he charged you with a traffic offense. Further, at a speed of 84/70, you will lose your license unless you get a reduction in the speed to some level under 80mph. DO NOT just pay the ticket off, because you'll be pleading guilty to 84/70, and your license will be suspended.

Fortunately, this type of ticket should be relatively easy for an attorney to handle in court. Whether you need a prayer for judgment continued ("PJC") depends on your specific record, as well as the records of anyone else on your insurance policy. You'll likely have to pay only $188 in court costs, although it may be about $10 more if the judge imposes a fine. You should have an attorney review your record to determine the best way to handle the ticket.

Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should seek a full consultation with a licensed attorney before relying on any advice offered through this website.

Kellie Chappell Gonzalez

Kellie Chappell Gonzalez

Agree if you have to go to court it wasn't a warning. However, he/she could have been nice and gave you a City Code Violation which would result in fines but no insurance points. It is best to consult a lawyer and handle it appropriately now rather than later have to deal with insurance issues.

If you have to go to Court, it is not just a warning. You need to retain an attorney. I agree with my colleagues.

Leonard R. Boyer, Esq. 201-.675-.5577. If you found this Answer helpful, please mark it as "Best Answer" Please be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

This answer is in no way meant to give you legal advice or create and attorney/client relationship.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets