Stopped for going 84 in a 70 the officer said it was a warning but I have to go to court, what happens next

Asked 11 months ago - Raleigh, NC

wiil I loose my liscense, have to pay a fine and court costs. Can I ask for a prayer for judgment and do I need a lawyer

1. Sarah Jessica Farber

6

Answered . Whether or not you will lose your license depends upon your driving record. If you have no other tickets, you will not lose your license. If you plead guilty, you will absolutely have to pay a fine and court costs. If you ask for a PJC, you usually just have to pay court costs. I encourage you to contact an attorney to find out what is at stake here for you. Good luck.

2. Daniel Micah Blau

Pro

6

Answered . If you have to go to court on the ticket, then it wasn't just a warning - he charged you with a traffic offense. Further, at a speed of 84/70, you will lose your license unless you get a reduction in the speed to some level under 80mph. DO NOT just pay the ticket off, because you'll be pleading guilty to 84/70, and your license will be suspended.

Fortunately, this type of ticket should be relatively easy for an attorney to handle in court. Whether you need a prayer for judgment continued ("PJC") depends on your specific record, as well as the records of anyone else on your insurance policy. You'll likely have to pay only $188 in court costs, although it may be about $10 more if the judge imposes a fine. You should have an attorney review your record to determine the best way to handle the ticket.

3. Kellie Chappell Gonzalez

1

1

Answered . Agree if you have to go to court it wasn't a warning. However, he/she could have been nice and gave you a City Code Violation which would result in fines but no insurance points. It is best to consult a lawyer and handle it appropriately now rather than later have to deal with insurance issues.

This answer is in no way meant to give you legal advice or create and attorney/client relationship.
  4. Leonard Roy Boyer

Pro

3

Answered . If you have to go to Court, it is not just a warning. You need to retain an attorney. I agree with my colleagues.