Stolen identity and IRS, along with school

Pembroke Pines, FL |

Financial aid will not pay for my school until my taxes are processed, which I attempted to file recently. However, my filing was rejected due to identity theft. The IRS said it can take a minimum of 6 months to process my affidavit of identity theft. Is there a way to have this process expedited? I was suppose to start school in October and now I'm looking at late spring.

Thanks in advance,

This student needs to review the school's financial aid policies, and follow up the the IRS every few weeks. There is no regulation that compels the IRS to expedite the processing of taxes or the affidavit concerning alleged identity theft.

Thank you and please indicate if you found this answer and / or the link(s) helpful. Should the reader have any questions please feel free to contact Attorney Kotler at TBKotler@sbcglobal.net or 330-777-0065 This answer contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be protected by attorney-client privilege or work product doctrine. However, the mere receipt of this answer, alone, is not sufficient to create an attorney-client relationship. If the reader of this is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this answerer is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this answer. Again,should the reader have any questions please feel free to contact Attorney Kotler at TBKotler@sbcglobal.net or 330-777-0065

I am sorry to hear of your troubles. This seems to be a unique situation. Perhaps you can get help with the IRS Taxpayer advocate. Here is a link that discussed the program. http://www.irs.gov/irm/part13/irm_13-001-001.html

Unfortunately, the IRS problem may just be part of your problem. You need to order all of your credit reports to ensure that you are not being victimized on other accounts. You should review your credit reports ASAP. It would probably be a good idea to review your credit report prepared by Equifax, Trans Union, Experian and Innovis. You can get the first three so for free once a year by calling 877-322-8228. It is a lot simpler and quicker than jumping through all the hoops on the internet and you do not risk mistakenly agreeing to waive your right to a jury trial by arbitration. Please be sure to stay on the line until you have ordered all three reports. You can order your free copy of your Innovis report by calling 1-800-540-2505.

If you discover false accounts, feel free to contact me for an instructional dispute letter. I wish you the best in the future.

If this information has been helpful, please check the thumbs up tab below. Disclaimer: The above is intended to give you some insight into various legal topics. This information is not intended as legal advice, but rather an attempt to provide helpful topical information. Although I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you about representing you, we have not established an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship requires me to agree in writing to represent you. Unless that happens, you should not take anything I say or write to be legal advice about your situation or make any decisions based on it. It is very important that you consult a lawyer as to the specific circumstances of your case. If there are more facts that you overlooked and did not include in your initial question and you would like to email me, you may send an email to stevefahlgren@gmail.com. Of course, sending an email to me or my firm does not create an attorney-client relationship. We do not accept client representations by email. We do not always treat unsolicited information received by email from our website as confidential unless you have first confirmed that we do not have a conflict of interest. Please do not send us any information about a potential representation until you communicate with us to find out if we have a conflict of interest with the adversary in your particular case. As a rule, we do not represent institutions against consumers so there is usually not a conflict of interest when it comes to consumer protection but it is always safe to be sure. If you send me an email without checking to ensure there is no conflict, you also agree that our review of your email or any information in it, even if you submitted it in a good faith effort to retain us, and even if you consider it confidential, will not preclude us from representing another client directly adverse to you, even in a matter where that information could and will be used against you. Sorry for all of the legal words but I like to be up front with potential clients and my clients. Best regards, Steven M. Fahlgren Attorney, Arbitrator and Certified Circuit Civil Mediator Law Offices of Steven M. Fahlgren, P.A. Phone: (904) 845-2255 Phone: (407) 852-1711 www.ForTheConsumer.com www.FahlgrenLaw.com www.SteveFahlgren.com