Stipulation of Dismissal in Adversary proceeding

Worcester, MA |

I agreed to settle the lawsuit. The stipulation of dismissal is as reads " The Plaintiff and Defendent pursuant to Rule 41(a)(1) (i) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, stipulate that the above adversary proceeding be and it is hereby dismissed with prejudice, with each party bearing its respective costs of the action with all rights of appeal waived." I am the defendent of this case. Can I re-open or appeal the case in future?

No (or certainly not easily), due to the words "with prejudice", which mean permanently. You should protect yourself either by making sure that the compensatory terms of the settlement are fully executed to your satisfaction before the dismissal is entered, or providing that you can reopen the case in the event of a breach of the settlement agreement, perhaps starting by stripping out the "with prejudice" part.

Maybe you should have an attorney look over your agreement before executing it.

Not easily, as the other attorney has explained.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.

No

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.