Stipulation of Dismissal in Adversary proceeding

Asked about 2 years ago - Worcester, MA

I agreed to settle the lawsuit. The stipulation of dismissal is as reads " The Plaintiff and Defendent pursuant to Rule 41(a)(1) (i) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, stipulate that the above adversary proceeding be and it is hereby dismissed with prejudice, with each party bearing its respective costs of the action with all rights of appeal waived." I am the defendent of this case. Can I re-open or appeal the case in future?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jeffrey K. Varszegi

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . No (or certainly not easily), due to the words "with prejudice", which mean permanently. You should protect yourself either by making sure that the compensatory terms of the settlement are fully executed to your satisfaction before the dismissal is entered, or providing that you can reopen the case in the event of a breach of the settlement agreement, perhaps starting by stripping out the "with prejudice" part.

    Maybe you should have an attorney look over your agreement before executing it.

  2. Erik Hammarlund

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Not easily, as the other attorney has explained.

    Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask... more
  3. Henry Lebensbaum

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . No

    henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

    Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,431 answers this week

2,972 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,431 answers this week

2,972 attorneys answering