Skip to main content

Still waiting for my money

New York, NY |

I agreed a settlement for a lease buyout 8 months ago, and then my lawyer sent me another bill after that and I queried these very high ambiguous charges. He said this is charge for work that they do, no further details. I queried it again but he is not answering me or my questions about the unexplained charges and he still has my settlement money after all this time. I have no signed the release form because of this crazy final bill we cannot agree on.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If you have not signed the release then you have not triggered your adversary's obligation to pay the settlement.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  2. Until the release is signed, there will be no settlement money coming. Ask for an itemized statement from the attorney and I'm assuming you signed an attorney-client contract. Compare it to the statement.

    Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

  3. You can query and query until you are blue in the face, but the release would need to be signed if you want a settlement.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics