Skip to main content

Steps to take in Adverse possession process?

Tracy, CA |

I just posted a question regarding adverse possession and I was wondering if I needed to be the person to pay the taxes or can I have my mom pay the default taxes in her name? Also my original agreement was with the owner but I can not locate her for 4 years and she has not contacted be as well? please help me with the steps to take in order to do this legally?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You should not expect a detailed answer in this forum, but should employ an experienced real estate attorney in the area where the property is located. Payment of the taxes for 5 years is essential for the claimant, which may be satisfied if you mother pays. The real difficult issue lies in the "original agreement" you had with the owner, because until you occupy in a "hostile" manner (meaning notoriously excluding the owner and claim ownership in yourself), there can be no adverse possession. As I said before, you should definitely consult an experienced real estate attorney in the area the property is located.

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer