Steps to take by withholding or removal status (A10) if immigration reform gets approved?

Asked over 1 year ago - Hallandale, FL

If an immigration reform gets approved on 2013, do A10 Withholding of removal holders, need to apply in front of an immigration Judge with a motion to reopen and reconsider or can they apply directly to immigration offices?
I obtained my withholding of removal on 2000, i didnt get asylum because of the one year deadline.
I dont have a criminal record.
I am anxiouly waiting for an immigration reform, and my hopes are very high in 2013.
I kow that if it gets approved it will come with specifications.
I just need to know the most likely scenario.
Q: If it gets approved, most likely can i adjust like everyone else, or will i have to get a motion to reopen and reconsider?
I am also looking for a good lawyer for when the time comes, with experience in motions to reopen.
God bless your advices.

1. Jeffrey Adam Devore

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . You are asking for crystal ball predictions on what will happen. A comprehensive bill has not yet even been introduced. In any event, assuming you will still need to obtain any new relief which may become available in the future, you want your case calendared for additional relief, not reopened. Reopening can vacate your grant of withholding of removal. When the time comes (hopefully), consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can help you determine what benefits, if any, you are eligible for and the best way to proceed.

2. Veronica Tunitsky

3

Answered . We won't know the answer to your question until there is such reform.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . You are asking us to speculate on a law that hasn't been passed yet.

Sorry, my crystal ball is out being polished.

Please don't be offended by my joke, I'm merely pointing out that it is impossible to predict what the new state of affairs will be ..... IF a Comprehensive Immigration Reform law passes.

4. Irene Vaisman

2

Answered . it is impossible to speculate, hopefully if and when something does come out, they will provide us with the details of scenarios.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.