Stepfather wants to adopt my daughter, but the biological father is fighting it!

Asked about 2 years ago - Wichita Falls, TX

I have a 2 year old daughter whom I have full custody of. When I was pregnant, the biological father (who is immature & was diagnosed with PTSD) and I were not together, hes not on the birth cert., he wasnt involved until my daughter was about 4 months old & we had paternity established & he was ordered to pay child support which he is now almost $2000 behind in (back child support--we have a hearing in october). He never really sees her because he moved a few hours away (as did I in another town) he works for the army & on an oil rig as well. I got married April 2012 to a cop in the airforce. He has been a true father to my daughter, provides insurance for her & has taken her in like his own. We decided we want him to adopt her but I know the real father will fight. What can I do?

1. William Tyler Moore Jr

Pro

Answered . Get an experienced family law attorney involved to represent you. Let the attorney deal with the problems as they arise. You don't have the training or education to do this without professional help. Depending on the circumstances, you may or may not be able to accomplish an involuntary termination of the father's rights--the first step to a step-parent adoption.