Skip to main content

Step Parent Adoption Questions - Quite a Few!

New York, NY |

little background- I had my daughter no father on b.certificate or dna proof father knows of her but has never assumed responsibility for her was going to sign consent for s.parent adoption for my husband to adopt her (who has been in her life since she was a year old) but then was mislead and told i could still take him for child support and now wants to be a part of her life only because he thinks he has to pay child support. i dont want him budding in her life for the wrong reasons if he was taken to court for the adoption- what are my chances of the court not involving him? and if he is involved what are my chances of winning? he has cases of refusing arrest and dui's against him. but uses "money" as a power

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If the father establishes his paternity of the child, you will not be able to have him adopted without the father's consent.

    If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

  2. I'd respectfully disagree with the sentiment that you'd be unable to have your Husband adopt without the father's consent. It is quite possible that the father has legally abandoned the child, in which case the Court can dispense with the need for his consent. Since more facts would be needed to assess this, you're best advised to schedule a consultation with a NYC Family Law attorney.

    * If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

  3. You do need his consent to adopt if he could turn around and seek an order of filiation and some custody/visitation, but your story is a little mixed up there (if I understand it) that if you or he DID do this, then he WOULD have to pay child support.

    Since he probably wants little to do with the child and doesn't want to pay child support, it is probably in his best interest to consent to a termination of parental rights and allowing your new husband to adopt. This is about the only situation, BTW, where he could terminate parental rights and NOT be potentially responsible for child support.

    Unless this guy is suddenly demonstrating an interest in the child or is looking to pay child support, which most biological fathers in this position avoid like the third rail, since it will suck up much of his after tax income, he will consent to the adoption.

    If he doesn't consent, you can possibly still succeed over his objection on a contested petition to terminate parental rights allowing your husband to adopt. But as I said, most biological parents in this position and with this little previous demonstrated interest in the child are only too happy to sign papers as fast as they can to avoid a possible child support obligation.

    This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

Child adoption topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics