Step Parent Adoption in Oregon

Medford, OR |
Filed under: Family law

What do I need to do for my husband to adopt my two children. Their biological father doesnt contest and hasnt been a part of their lifes in 4 years. I cant seem to find the information on whether theres a packet I can download or if I have to have an attorney do it for us.

1. There is no such thing as a downloadable form for adoption. This process involves more than just a form. First, the father must sign a consent to adopt, THEN you file a petition to adopt with the court, send out various notices, and then file an adoption judgment. You will need to meet with an attorney to do this properly. If the father consents, your attorney fee should be modest. Good luck.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.

2. I agree that you should contact an attorney about this adoption. Courts in Oregon do not provide packets of forms for adoption proceedings. If you are unsure where to go to find an attorney in your area who handles adoptions, you should call the Oregon State Bar's Attorney Referral Service at 1-800-452-7636.

3. The department of human services has an office that deals with this. There is a packet of forms that need to be completed and there will be a back ground check on your husband. A home visit may or may not be required. But suffice it to say the process will involve getting approval from DHS. THere are also court forms involved. Get an attorney to help you. http://www.portlandlegalservices.com

The comments by this author to questions posted on Avvo are designed to foster a general understanding of what might be the law governing the area of the legal problem stated and suggest what might be the approach to finding a legal solution. Under no circumstances is this author acting as the attorney for the party who posted the question or as the attorney for subsequent readers to the question or response and no attorney client relationship is being formed. This attorney's comments are not intended to be a substitute for getting legal advice from a licensed attorney. A reader of this author's comments should never act on the information provided in these comments as though these comments were legal advice and should always seek legal advice in a personal consultation with an attorney in their jurisdiction before taking action. The information provided here is not intended to cover every situation with similar facts. Please remember that the law varies between states and other countries and is always changing through actions of the courts and the Legislature.