Step Parent Adoption in Oregon

Asked over 1 year ago - Medford, OR

What do I need to do for my husband to adopt my two children. Their biological father doesnt contest and hasnt been a part of their lifes in 4 years. I cant seem to find the information on whether theres a packet I can download or if I have to have an attorney do it for us.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Mindy S Stannard


    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree that you should contact an attorney about this adoption. Courts in Oregon do not provide packets of forms for adoption proceedings. If you are unsure where to go to find an attorney in your area who handles adoptions, you should call the Oregon State Bar's Attorney Referral Service at 1-800-452-7636.

  2. Diane L Gruber


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is no such thing as a downloadable form for adoption. This process involves more than just a form. First, the father must sign a consent to adopt, THEN you file a petition to adopt with the court, send out various notices, and then file an adoption judgment. You will need to meet with an attorney to do this properly. If the father consents, your attorney fee should be modest. Good luck.

    Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662.... more
  3. Joanne Reisman

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The department of human services has an office that deals with this. There is a packet of forms that need to be completed and there will be a back ground check on your husband. A home visit may or may not be required. But suffice it to say the process will involve getting approval from DHS. THere are also court forms involved. Get an attorney to help you.

    The comments by this author to questions posted on Avvo are designed to foster a general understanding of what... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,447 answers this week

2,553 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,447 answers this week

2,553 attorneys answering