Step Parent Adoption in Oregon

Asked over 1 year ago - Medford, OR

What do I need to do for my husband to adopt my two children. Their biological father doesnt contest and hasnt been a part of their lifes in 4 years. I cant seem to find the information on whether theres a packet I can download or if I have to have an attorney do it for us.

1. Mindy S Stannard

Pro

3

Answered . I agree that you should contact an attorney about this adoption. Courts in Oregon do not provide packets of forms for adoption proceedings. If you are unsure where to go to find an attorney in your area who handles adoptions, you should call the Oregon State Bar's Attorney Referral Service at 1-800-452-7636.

2. Diane L Gruber

Pro

2

Answered . There is no such thing as a downloadable form for adoption. This process involves more than just a form. First, the father must sign a consent to adopt, THEN you file a petition to adopt with the court, send out various notices, and then file an adoption judgment. You will need to meet with an attorney to do this properly. If the father consents, your attorney fee should be modest. Good luck.

3. Joanne Reisman

1

Answered . The department of human services has an office that deals with this. There is a packet of forms that need to be completed and there will be a back ground check on your husband. A home visit may or may not be required. But suffice it to say the process will involve getting approval from DHS. THere are also court forms involved. Get an attorney to help you. http://www.portlandlegalservices.com

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now