Step-mom adopting husbands children.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Columbus, IN

If a mother is in prison for meth,other drugs and stealing does she lose all right?Can a step mom adopted her husbands two children or does she have to have the mothers consent?.Father has had full custody for almost 4 years.Mother has never taken any care of children or payed child support. The mother has only seen children less then 10 times in the last 3 and a half years.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Brooks James Grainger

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should consult an attorney. The court has to determine what is in the children's best interest. Depending on the circumstances the court can find the consent of the mother is not needed to allow the step mother to adopt.

    Note that this answer is NOT a substitute for legal advice, nor does it create an attorney client relationship.... more
  2. Veronica L. Jarnagin

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . It is possible to adopt without the biological mother's consent; however, unless Child in Need of Services or the local police were involved in an incident involving the children at the hands of the mother, then you will need to have her parental rights terminated by a court. Then, you can petition for adoption of the step-kids; pending a home-study report by a licensed adoption agency. The process is likely to incur fees for court, attorney and agency of at least $2,500 if you have to have her rights terminated.
    If I can be of assistance, please do not hesitate to call for an appointment.
    veRONIca jarnagin, atty, pc

    veRONIca jarnagin, atty, pc 317-253-7664 provides this response as general guidance and not specific legal... more

Related Topics

Child custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Child custody and adoption

For couples with children from different relationships, adoption can be an option to legally and permanently change who has custody of a child.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,821 answers this week

3,443 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,821 answers this week

3,443 attorneys answering