Step father already gave me the keys to the two cars my mom left me can I get in trouble for driving them if not in probate yet?

Asked over 1 year ago - Dallas, TX

My mom die on Easter Sunday 3/31/2013 in Church in Dallas, TX. My TX ID shows her address was my address. We have not reached the 30 day mark to probate yet.

Ok think I need an Lawyer. Ok thanks Cheryl. But this was done before I knew that there was a will and I had not read it yet. I now know that I'm to receive all personal property intangible and tangible.

1. Cheryl Rivera Smith

17

Answered . As long as you have consent from the executor to drive the cars, it shouldn't be a problem. However, you should be sure that insurance, inspection, and registration are current.

2. David M. Pyke

9

Best Answer

Answered . You will need to retitle, but the executor will need to deliver you the titles signed by the executor and a copy of the letters testamentary to do this. You will not be able to get your annual registration without updating the title.

3. John Gus Zgourides

7

Answered . I agree with Miss Smith. I am sorry for your loss.

John Zgourides
    Web: www.zgourides.com

4. James P. Frederick

8

Answered . In addition to Ms. Smith's response, you should have the vehicles retitled, as soon as you can. You may be able to do this without them going through probate. Many states provide a mechanism for an easy transfer of motor vehicles, outside of probate. You should check with the State DMV.

James Frederick

5. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

6

Answered . Sorry for your loss.
    Just get permission from the executor
    but you should know that if an accident occurs that the estate(as owner of vehicle)
    could be responsible as long as the auto has not been transferred to you.
    Victims always sue the owner and driver of a vehicle..