Staying legally in the USA after J1 Work&Travel visa expires

Asked about 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY


I am currently in US on my J1 visa. I am participating in cultural exchange program called Work&Travel. I will try to explain my situation.

- on my visa it is stamped that I don't have a 2 year home residency requirement
- I came here in early July
- my visa expires on October 1st
- after October 1st I have 30 days of grace period during which I can stay in the USA

So it is classic Work&Travel visa which is approved for thousands of foreign students. My question is what can I do so I could stay here legally after my J1 visa expires? I found a couple of similar questions but answers are pretty old. Thank you in advance.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are many different types of temporary visa categories. See which ones you may qualify for.

    Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As you stated ... thousands of foreign students get this visa every year ... many wish to stay and ... as you will learn, most don't find ways to get work permits in the US ... unless they go to a US University and get an advanced degree.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting... more
  3. Alexus Paul Sham

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should hire an attorney to evaluate your options.

    Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does... more
  4. John K Lassen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Many types of visas

    John Lassen 1-877-252-4630
  5. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . A classic approach to your dilemma would be hiring a competent immigration attorney to review your particulars and suggest a legally optimal venue to pursue.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,402 answers this week

3,161 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,402 answers this week

3,161 attorneys answering