Staying legally after finishing J-1 visa period?

Asked 10 months ago - Folsom, CA

I'm in J-1 visa with two years constraints and I got a waiver based on hardship. My DS2019 will end by Dec 19, 2013. and I got a job offer, they going to sponsor me on H1B. Could I stay in US after the end of my J-1 visa?If yes, could I start work?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

5

Answered . Only if your H-1B employer is cap-exempt, and he applies for a change of status for you before December 19, 2003. Please see

2. Kaushik Shakti Ranchod

Pro

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . First of all, congratulations on obtaining your hardship waiver! You will need to leave the U.S. since you are on J1 status and your employer will need to file for a new H1B application. This application may be submitted on April 1, 2014; for a start date of October 1, 2014. Since there is a gap between your J1 status and H1B potential status you would need to depart unless you are sponsored by a cap-exempt employer.

3. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . There cannot be a gap between nonimmigrant statuses.

4. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

3

Answered . You need to discuss all your variables with an immigration visa attorney ASAP.